The Scale Garage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WIDELOAD's new project...Its a scaler, but not as you know it.

+11
Aperture
SkR8Pn
Jayboy74
kakarot
micks troll
Rustykaos
scottb
Big fella
azwa
lunatick
WIDELOAD
15 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

WIDELOAD's new project...Its a scaler, but not as you know it. Empty WIDELOAD's new project...Its a scaler, but not as you know it.

Post  WIDELOAD Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:14 am

Alright, bits have started to roll in so its time to start the thread. Thanks to the Tax Man for financing the build.. Razz

Parts list
CC01 Chassis
GPM 4 link & Shock mounts
Alloy motor mount
Yeah Racing CVD's
Early BFG M/T Pattern tyres & 5 spoke touring car wheels
Kamtec Bowler Wildcat lexan shell

1250kv brushless outrunner with 35a EZrun ESC running 3s lipo
Hitec 645MG steering servo.
Spektrum radio gear.

Futures bits:
One way front diff
Alloy shocks
Steering kit
Full belly skid
Upgraded drive-shaft
Full interior with cage.

So when you add this:
WIDELOAD's new project...Its a scaler, but not as you know it. Cc01box
Plus this:
WIDELOAD's new project...Its a scaler, but not as you know it. Clearlid
Hopfully you get something like this:
WIDELOAD's new project...Its a scaler, but not as you know it. Wildcat-300-STR-1
Last pic for tonight, wheels and tyres:
WIDELOAD's new project...Its a scaler, but not as you know it. Feet

More pics tomorrow...Hopefully of a rolling chassis... pirat
WIDELOAD
WIDELOAD

Legend Status : 40

Back to top Go down

WIDELOAD's new project...Its a scaler, but not as you know it. Empty Re: WIDELOAD's new project...Its a scaler, but not as you know it.

Post  lunatick Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:35 am

Mate get onto TZI and get yourself one of the Emax 3850 kv motors , There just $ 15
I,ve been thinking about making something similar ( Although with a Subaru Brumby body ) so i,ll be watching with great interest
lunatick
lunatick

Legend Status : 6

Back to top Go down

WIDELOAD's new project...Its a scaler, but not as you know it. Empty Re: WIDELOAD's new project...Its a scaler, but not as you know it.

Post  azwa Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:11 pm

nice start troy & very nice body choice afro
azwa
azwa

Legend Status : 16

Back to top Go down

Post  Big fella Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:27 pm

finaly lol!

should be good when it all comes together mate.
Big fella
Big fella

Legend Status : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  WIDELOAD Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:26 pm

lunatick wrote:Mate get onto TZI and get yourself one of the Emax 3850 kv motors , There just $ 15
I,ve been thinking about making something similar ( Although with a Subaru Brumby body ) so i,ll be watching with great interest

Cheers for that Paul, but i've got a fair few outrunners here to play with...plus 3850kv would be too fast for the little beast. Its going to be running 3s dont forget... Twisted Evil
I've worked out with its current set up it should roughly do 15km/h or so...Thats pretty quick for something this size. If i want more stonk i'll get a 2000kv that will give me another 5km/h there abouts.

Didnt get the the chassis to roller stage tonight. But close.

Modded the front arms, Skid, and C-hubs to get some more travel and a fly sh1t more steering lock, and cut the brick off the front off the chassis.
Might have an issue with tyre height though...under full bump is looks like its going to stuff a tyre into the inner guards... Rolling Eyes
So now i've got to try and work around that issue...

More pics:

Gearbox and motor in:
WIDELOAD's new project...Its a scaler, but not as you know it. Gearsin

under the front:
WIDELOAD's new project...Its a scaler, but not as you know it. Underside

Front on:
WIDELOAD's new project...Its a scaler, but not as you know it. Fronton

The Brick cut:
WIDELOAD's new project...Its a scaler, but not as you know it. Brickfront
GOOOONNNEEE!!!!!!:
WIDELOAD's new project...Its a scaler, but not as you know it. Brickgone

Hopefully will get the rear end under it tomorrow and at least get it sitting on the rims. cheers
WIDELOAD
WIDELOAD

Back to top Go down

Post  scottb Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:15 pm

Very nice Troy.......so is this going to be A daka special then
scottb
scottb

Legend Status : 18

Back to top Go down

Post  WIDELOAD Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:34 am

scottb wrote:Very nice Troy.......so is this going to be A daka special then

Sort of but not really Scotty...It'll be built as a Rally raid car but no specifically Dakar style..

Should have some more pics up by dinner time tonight...
WIDELOAD
WIDELOAD

Back to top Go down

Post  Rustykaos Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:13 am

Coming along really nice. Also for more tyre clearance on the front put a 2-3mm spacer on the top shock mount so you get more ground clearance and won't rub as much.

Cheers Jarrod
Rustykaos
Rustykaos

Legend Status : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  WIDELOAD Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:57 am

Rustykaos wrote:Coming along really nice. Also for more tyre clearance on the front put a 2-3mm spacer on the top shock mount so you get more ground clearance and won't rub as much.
Cheers Jarrod

Thanks for the Tip Jarrod, but it looks like i'm actually going to need shorter tyres.

Track width is perfect:
WIDELOAD's new project...Its a scaler, but not as you know it. Trackwidth

This is the orginal issue:
WIDELOAD's new project...Its a scaler, but not as you know it. Fullstuff

Uhhh...that aint going to work:
WIDELOAD's new project...Its a scaler, but not as you know it. Fullstuffw-body

I'm not cutting into the body anymore and it will not clear under full lock & bump. So i'm on the hunt for some smaller tyres.
I'll be doing mock up with the stock CC01 bricks for the moment, the BFG's are up for sale in the classifieds.
WIDELOAD
WIDELOAD

Back to top Go down

Post  micks troll Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:13 am

Nice work mate I'm certain with your experience and skils you'll have it all up and running in no time Cool so hurry up Razz
micks troll
micks troll

Legend Status : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  WIDELOAD Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:03 am

micks troll wrote:Nice work mate I'm certain with your experience and skils you'll have it all up and running in no time Cool so hurry up Razz
Thanks mick...the build will start to slow down now as i need to start final fitment etc.

Rear end is all done, shocks on and its offically a roller minus drive shafts.

Front 3/4 pic.This will be finished ride & body height or at least close to it.
WIDELOAD's new project...Its a scaler, but not as you know it. Frnt3qtr

it looks like i should have enough room in the guards after all for the bigger boots...Time will tell.
Can you spot the issue as well?
WIDELOAD's new project...Its a scaler, but not as you know it. Sideon

Wheel base too long. Easy fix though, i put the 4link together at max length. So need to shorten the lowers. pirat
WIDELOAD's new project...Its a scaler, but not as you know it. Toolong

All thats left is everything else... Rolling Eyes
WIDELOAD
WIDELOAD

Back to top Go down

Post  kakarot Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:42 am

Mad sh1t cuz!
kakarot
kakarot

Back to top Go down

Post  Rustykaos Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:05 pm

In the FJ40 kit (possibly others as well) there is this spacer (can't think of the right word for it) that gives you 4 option for mounting the rear four link. I will try and find out the part number as this would help a lot for setting your wheelbase.

Cheers Jarrod
Rustykaos
Rustykaos

Back to top Go down

Post  WIDELOAD Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:23 pm

kakarot wrote:Mad sh1t cuz!
Cheers Glenn...

Rustykaos wrote:In the FJ40 kit (possibly others as well) there is this spacer (can't think of the right word for it) that gives you 4 option for mounting the rear four link. I will try and find out the part number as this would help a lot for setting your wheelbase.
Cheers Jarrod

Yeah i spotted those bits Jarrod. Gives 3 different chassis mount options, but i got a few different lengths of rod ends in the GPM kit so i'll mix & match to get the wheel base right.

Still havent decided one a colour scheme yet...anybody got ideas?
I was thinking Metallic blue with silver or white bits on it...
WIDELOAD
WIDELOAD

Back to top Go down

Post  lunatick Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:00 pm

WIDELOAD wrote:
Still havent decided one a colour scheme yet...anybody got ideas?
I was thinking Metallic blue with silver or white bits on it...

I reckon satin black or gun metal grey Like the photo of the 1:1 version in the pic
lunatick
lunatick

Back to top Go down

Post  azwa Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:24 pm

spray her with transluscent orange & then gunmetal grey ,
depending thickness will alter it from a gunmetal with orange pearl
to an almost harlequin style of colour where it alters colours 3 ,4 , 5 times depending on the angle your lookin at it

http://thecrawlpit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=1633

pictures dont do it any justice it looked wicked ...

azwa .
azwa
azwa

Legend Status : 16

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayboy74 Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:32 pm

I reckon the black or gun meatl grey as stated or

a metallic orange with black trim, like the bike pictured i stopped one like this yesterday and it was mint in the sun, this paint however costs $1000 a litre so you might want to look for an alternative.

WIDELOAD's new project...Its a scaler, but not as you know it. 1279333117_105594165_1-Pictures-of--2008-Suzuki-GSXR750-1279333117
Jayboy74
Jayboy74

Legend Status : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  WIDELOAD Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:12 pm

Thanks for the suggestions boys....I'll see what happens when it comes time for paint...

Ran into a issue tonight after screwing with the wheelbase...Got it dialed in nice.
But now the uppers keep binding up the rod ends...so i've got some more messing round to do to try to solve that issue... Mad
WIDELOAD
WIDELOAD

Back to top Go down

Post  SkR8Pn Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:17 am

Looks good Troy
SkR8Pn
SkR8Pn

Legend Status : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  Aperture Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:17 pm

im likin what i see....

another new truck to get scratched
Aperture
Aperture

Legend Status : 7

Back to top Go down

Post  scottb Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:22 pm

Looking good Troy.......candy apple red (it's metallic) with gun metal bits
scottb
scottb

Legend Status : 18

Back to top Go down

Post  WIDELOAD Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:53 am

SkR8Pn wrote:Looks good Troy
Cheer Brother...Hopefully it ends up that way as well... scratch
Aperture wrote:im likin what i see....another new truck to get scratched
Yup...it's going to cop a flogging...
scottb wrote:Looking good Troy.......candy apple red (it's metallic) with gun metal bits
Thanks for the suggestion Scotty, I dont have a good track record with painting red though, so i'm a bit wary of it.

All right...not much progress. Building has slowed down while i wait for parts.

Got the wheel base sorted now & Front body mounts done. In the pics i had the body mounts one hole too far back, so its not lined up in the pics, but it does actually line up (get it?)
Also i think the body could be dropped a little more, but i've got to find my spare body posts. The stock CC01 ones dont have holes far enough down.
WIDELOAD's new project...Its a scaler, but not as you know it. Wheelpaseperfect

Trying to figure out a way to mount the battery 'cause im using smaller packs. Velcro straps fix everything.
WIDELOAD's new project...Its a scaler, but not as you know it. Batterystrap
They are just screwed into the top side of the 4link mounting screw holes. Works like a cham!
Now that was done i could fill the gaint stock battery hole in the side of the chassis.
WIDELOAD's new project...Its a scaler, but not as you know it. Holefilled

Dropped the front cross member to take some of the angle out of the lower A-arms. Only down side to this is screws with the front roll center and now the camber changes through the front suspension cycle. Also can see bump steer being a bit of an issue, hence the servo saver in the above pic:
WIDELOAD's new project...Its a scaler, but not as you know it. Crossdrop

Last of the morning is my giant shaft... Took 5 stock axial shafts to get this thing made (5 your say...Yeah i made the first one too short & fawked it up Laughing) Added drive shaft rings to hopefully get it to hang together a bit longer.
WIDELOAD's new project...Its a scaler, but not as you know it. Longshaft

So as of last night it was drivable in rwd only (front CVD haven't shown up)....Holy sh!t its fun. Stock tyres are they are so hard they spin on anything.
So i put on the BFG's/mud thraser knock offs...Pulls wheelies on the rug, concrete sounds like a 1:1 chuckin a skid (they howl like you wouldnt believe) and grass is close to pulling wheelies.
Minimum crawl speed it about a fast walk (crappy outrunner). Top end is hard to say, I never really opened the taps all the way. But its fast enough to be entertaining.

Still along way to go.... Suspect
WIDELOAD
WIDELOAD

Back to top Go down

Post  Rustykaos Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:52 pm

Looking good there troy. With the spacers on the front skid I took the front 2 out to give it a little ackermann angle. You will also have to shave a little off the inside of the C hubs as they will rub at full lock. Also with the front body mounts if you wanted it lower you could've mounted the body posts straight to the chassis rather than using that piece that goes across the front wheel arches.

Cheers Jarrod
Rustykaos
Rustykaos

Back to top Go down

Post  WIDELOAD Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:28 am

Answer's in Cyan mate. pirat

Rustykaos wrote:Looking good there troy. Cheers man... Very Happy
With the spacers on the front skid I took the front 2 out to give it a little ackermann angle.
The height and more specifically the angle of the of the cross member/A-arms doesn't have anything to do with Ackermann. What you adjusted is the anti-dive and/or Caster (not generally connected in the 1:1 world, but in RC they just about always are)
Ackermann is actually the geometric arrangement of you steering linkages steering geometery and is dertermined by the kingpins, steering knuckles etc not the lower cross member.

You will also have to shave a little off the inside of the C hubs as they will rub at full lock.
Beat ya to it...I made sure i did it before i built the rig. Wink

Also with the front body mounts if you wanted it lower you could've mounted the body posts straight to the chassis rather than using that piece that goes across the front wheel arches.
Thanks for that one, I didnt realise that....D'oh! too late now.
But I've been looking at the height and i'm actually happy with it. Everything clears under suspension cycle and lock to lock, so i'll leave it.

Cheers Jarrod

Last edited by WIDELOAD on Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
WIDELOAD
WIDELOAD

Back to top Go down

Post  WIDELOAD Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:13 pm

Got SFA done today...Body is mounted properly now, made a plate for the esc and took it for a bash around the front yard (minus body)

After digging round in the box i found another pair of body mounts that came with the kit, they were about 4mm shorter than the ones i was using so the body height is dialed in now.
WIDELOAD's new project...Its a scaler, but not as you know it. Bodymountedside

Esc mount is just a piece of air craft ally (skin from a constellation passenger plane...lol!) cut, file, drill etc...and bingo, done. But i might have an issue if i put an interior in this thing as the esc sits pretty high in the body.
WIDELOAD's new project...Its a scaler, but not as you know it. Escbracket

WIDELOAD's new project...Its a scaler, but not as you know it. Escbracketinplace

Top end speed is quick, but not quick enough for me so i'll be gearing it up to a 20t pinion (biggest you can fit in a cc01 without hacking sh!t up).
WIDELOAD
WIDELOAD

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next