Motor clocking/degrees

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Motor clocking/degrees

Post  Rustykaos on Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:19 am

Was wanting to know what motor clocking is and how it would benefit me?

Cheers Jarrod
Rustykaos

Legend Status : 21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Motor timing

Post  WIDELOAD on Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:57 pm

By clocking, I take it you mean turning the endbell? If it is thats adjusting the timing.

The only thing you need to know about is advanced (increased) timing. Running retarded timing on your motor does nothing except make heat, kill efficiency and wear sh1t out real quick.

How does timing work and what are its effects?

Advancing the timing of a brushed motor causes the segments of a motor to energize earlier during rotation. So its shifts the magnetic field, changing the power band of the motor.

Running advanced timing generally increases power and torque. But only to a certain point before it does nothing but generate extra heat and wear. 6°-8° of advance is best for comm and brush life. You can adjust timing anywhere up to 45° but anything over 36° doesn't actually give any major gain.
If you use reverse on you rig keep to 12° or less or advance. The reason for this is when you spin the motor in reverse the timing is now retarded causing arcing, heat wear etc.

Looking at the endbell of most adjustable timing motors you will see a series of notches, these are timing marks. Most motor have 4 notches, one is a double notch which is 0° or neutral timing, each single notch is an indicated 12° of timing.

How do i adjust the timing?

To advance the timing you loosen the 2 screws in the end bell and carefully turn the end bell in the opposite direction of the motor rotation (usually anti-clockwise when looking at the endbell - see pic). If you run your motor when you advance the timing, you will actually be able to hear the RPM rise. Same as if you turn the endbell to opposite way to retarded timing you'll hear the RPM drop and see a lot of arching.

Below is a pic a motor set to 12° advanced timing. If you want to set it to less than 12° you can eye ball the spot or you can also buy timing jigs from various manufacturers (racers edge, Epic/Trinity etc.)

Pretty sure that covers everything...If you're not sure of anything let me know.

WIDELOAD

Legend Status : 40

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Motor clocking/degrees

Post  Rustykaos on Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:25 am

Cool very informative. I know increasing the timing will increase RPM but will it do anything for torque as well.

Cheers Jarrod
Rustykaos

Legend Status : 21

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WIDELOAD on Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:35 am

No worries mate, happy to help.

Read noob...lol

WIDELOAD wrote:
Running advanced timing generally increases power and torque.

Advanced timing usually will give and increase in torque across the power band, so more 'snap' overall.... As i said as well though, try not to go past 12° in a crawler otherwise reverse will suck.

Last edited by WIDELOAD on Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixing my screw up.)
WIDELOAD

Legend Status : 40

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bazuky on Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:57 pm

what he said
bazuky

Legend Status : 3

View user profile

Back to top Go down