Servo Glitch

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Servo Glitch

Post  WIDELOAD on Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:14 pm

Sall good mate...happy to help.

I would take the servo out next and see what happens....I have a feeling that the issue could be rooted around it.

Keep an eye on the led on the receiver as well. Check to see if its on when everything is going spaz....If its not, that would be at least part of the problem - No signal for the radio to pick up.

WIDELOAD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayboy74 on Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:28 am

when the steering goes beserk the LED on the receiver is off, and then flickers back on.

What I'll do this afternoon is take a video of the set up and then show you in this video what its doing so you can have a first hand view of the goings on, I'll Youtube the video and embed it here, it will assist hopefully,

anyway I'm going to work and will take my frustration out on the unsuspecting motorists of Toowoomba. God Help them.

Jayboy74

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WIDELOAD on Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:33 am

Jayboy74 wrote:when the steering goes beserk the LED on the receiver is off, and then flickers back on.
What I'll do this afternoon is take a video of the set up and then show you in this video what its doing so you can have a first hand view of the goings on, I'll Youtube the video and embed it here, it will assist hopefully,
anyway I'm going to work and will take my frustration out on the unsuspecting motorists of Toowoomba. God Help them.

Lol....i thought all Highway cops took their frustrations out on motorists... Razz

The Vid would help, but not really....You've pretty much given me an answer with that you said about the LED on the Rx going on.
Whats going on by the sounds of things is the servo is drawing more amps that is available from either the internal bec of the esc and even the AA pack can provide.
Cause of this its taking all the power from the rx (LED goes out) so everything else goes ape shite untill the rx gets power back and tells everything to go to neutral.

Only real way to check this is to replace the servo with another one and test again.

WIDELOAD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayboy74 on Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:31 am

BINGO!!!!!

Hooked up a standard servo and no dramas at all!!!! under throttle, could turn madly and no glitch, under the AA power and returned the THR red wire back and went off the LIPO.

So it's obviously the servo.... so is this repairable??? I mean i have had it 3 months, and used it about 5 times for about 2 hours at a time, if it has to be replaced can it be a warranty job?? I bought it from the states, but am willing to chase Savoxx.

Can you repair it?

Anyway I can put in the standard servo for now for it to be driven, but am worried about its strength on course.

I will try to see if i can borrow Scott's servo as i don't think he's driving... won't tke long to fit out.

So tell me oh wise one what to do

Jayboy74

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WIDELOAD on Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:45 am

Good to hear we worked it out. cheers cheers
Depends on the servo you put in there it might last for a little while at least.

I would love to have a look at it to try and work it out.
There might not be anything wrong at all. It might just be a case of it just needs a high output bec for it to work properly. I dunno exactly how many amps the AA pack would put out, but under load the voltage drop might be enough to wig it out.

I'm not sure about Savox servos but i know with Hitec you can send it back to them with proof of purchase and they will generally fix it for free + shipping costs.

WIDELOAD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayboy74 on Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:48 pm

Yes, now you say that the Savoxx may be asking for more power that the 4 AA's is taking and it may still require an external BEC from the battery... now BEC's are programmable (Castle) via a Castle Link, Cable (I have one of those), so if I buy an external BEC it may still be able to solve my issue is that right?

So I buy one, hook it up, then via the prgoram start at 6v and see what happens, if i get a glitch, i can then try 7v? And see what happens, in other words, I set the volts to the BEC that will alllow the right power draw for the Servo, and therefore no glitch, and therefore the servo is all good just needs more power??? Am i on the right track?

Now for the interim I'm going to source another metal geared servo, Scott says the guys at OZRC are good, can you suggest a brand that has the right price and is metal and does not need an external power draw? And from where. I'm going to make my own inquiries now. What Hitec do you like?

Bascially, if i get the truck moving for the weekend the people of Toowoomba will get a reprieve, they copped a hammering today and may not last another attack from me.

Also just thought so edited this: Reading about glitching etc people speak of the Capacitors etc, now can you see mine is it possible that it is not working thus causing it to glicth, so if i put it somehwere wlese will it get rid of my issue.... mind you I'm not sure of the reason this silver capcacitor is here for. so go easy on the terminology.

If the external BEC does not solve my issue I'll chase up Savoxx with my dilemma and see what they say, if i get no grace i'll give it to you to dissect and weave some magic on it..

Jayboy74

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayboy74 on Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:45 pm

Another interesting piece of this puzzle too, tryo is that Scott has the exact same set up as me as far as Servo, battery etc, yet he has had no prblems, so there is another thing thats perplexing is why is mine stuffing up but his doesn't?

Thjats what make me think is there something in the wiring that may be shorting out or something similar causing this problem.

The other thing is if i buy another metal geared servo am i still going to have the same glitching problem as now, which adds weight to the subject of another underlying problem we have missed.

Hmmm is it too early to be thinking this hard?

Jayboy74

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayboy74 on Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:08 am

OK here's another line of thought but i didn't want to do it until i put it past you just so i didn't blow myslef up..

If the servo is drawing too much power from the RX, what would happen if i plug the battery in LIPO, AND the 4 x AA battery pack but did not remove the red THR wire, and allow the servo to draw from both power sources, to suit its needs.... is there a danger doing this?

Jayboy74

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WIDELOAD on Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:21 am

Holy lot of info Batman! Razz Alright I'll try and cover all this for you. What a Face

Firstly, its not an issue with the voltage the servo is getting, its the amps. That servo isn't rated for more that 6v, so if you get a BEC it shouldn't be set any higher than 6V (6.2v would be fine but no higher). Putting higher than recommended voltage through the servo will either make the issue worse, or totally kill the servo.
The advantage of the Castle BEC is that it has a 10amp output capacity. So if it is an issue with the servo not getting enough amps that would fix it.

So in short its doesn't need more volts, its needs more amps.

Replacement Servo: I would recommend a Hitec 645mg or 5645mg as an interim. They don't produce monster torque (about 10kg for the 645, 12kg for they 5645 or something like that), but i know for sure that they don't need a external BEC to run it. They're also fairly cheap (around $40 or something like that).

If you want cheaper, you can pick up a Towerpro 995 of ebay for less than $20. But they are hit and miss on quality. Some will last for ages but then about half of the ones I've ever ordered show up DOA.

Capacitors to solve glitches: Capacitors only solve a glitch if its caused by EMF (electro-magnetic field) Interference such as what a brushed motor produces (and power lines as well). Any glitch that is caused by EMF would effect your radio gear (you rig would drive around on its own). 2.4ghz radios are 99.9999999% immune to EMF interference.
But this issue is rooted around the servo pulling too many amps and shutting the RX down. Its not actually a "glitch" so to speak.

The Capacitor on the FX-R (silver one) is absorb and smooth any ripple current and feedback from the battery pack, 99% of ESCs have these built into the design. The FX-R doesn't, that's why its externally mounted. Its not to stop glitches. If the capacitor on the FX-r wasn't working you would know about it...The magic smoke would come out or the FX-R.

Running 2 lots of power into Rx: Do not do this....It will end in you needing to buy a new receiver and servo! Too much voltage for you rx and servo to handle. As i said, its not a volts issue - its amp draw.

Not sure why Scott doesn't have the issue, maybe his gear was made on a Wednesday, yours on Friday... Rolling Eyes But it does make me wonder.

I'm pretty sure now that you've said Scott doesn't have the same problem that there is something internally wrong with the servo (be it motor, or the control board) that's causing the big amp draw and therefore the the problem. If it was a larger issue, just replacing the servo wouldn't fix it.

You removed the suspect bit of equip. and now everything is functioning normally. That servo being the cause of the problem. But the easy way to check for sure is plug the Savox into another rig and see what happens. If everything goes Ape, you know its definitely the servo

Hope that explains it mate. If I've missed anything or its unclear let me know.

WIDELOAD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayboy74 on Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:21 am

crystal clear.... sucks not having someone nearby to plug a servo into..

yes Scotts set up, including servo model 1256T is exactly the same... (twilight zone music)

is there anywhere in Brissie i can purchase a hitec to get it to me by friday??

thanks for your help, i ordered a BEC too just to have with me should these problems arise. it wont be here by friday
Jayboy74

Legend Status : 0

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WIDELOAD on Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:47 am

Not sure about where to get one from to get it this last in the game. There's none on flea bay australia at the moment.

But try OZRC, Aussiehobbies and Mild 2 Wild RC and see if they have one. Even Hobbyone might have one. Just need to search around a bit.
WIDELOAD

Legend Status : 40

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayboy74 on Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:53 am

mild to wild has the 5645 for $45.00, is this the better choice as i'll ring them to see if i can get express post or might get scott to grab it for me...

I just thought too, i'll try the servo with my 2WD buggy to see if it works or not....

Off to hunt... thank you so much for your input you have been a great help to me and hopefully anyone else reading this.

See you at Q-ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jayboy74

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WIDELOAD on Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:16 am

Jayboy74 wrote:mild to wild has the 5645 for $45.00, is this the better choice as i'll ring them to see if i can get express post or might get scott to grab it for me...

I just thought too, i'll try the servo with my 2WD buggy to see if it works or not....

Off to hunt... thank you so much for your input you have been a great help to me and hopefully anyone else reading this.

See you at Q-ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup, that's a pretty good deal. I paid $35 for a 645 not that long ago from the US. So $45 for a 5645 within Aus is a good.

Plugging the savox into the buggy might at least give you an idea if its shagged or not. But it will most likely have an issue with the internal BEC of the buggy's ESC as well.

Again mate, happy to help you work it out.
WIDELOAD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayboy74 on Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:42 am

OK here's an update,

plugged Servo into 2WD buggy with Futaba Radio etc, only cheap ass brand... Servo worked perfectly.

Plugged radio TX into honcho using futaba stick controller, worked perfectly with throttle running.

Replugged Spektrum into honcho, had to re-bind, worked but the glitch was not as bad... plugged 4 x AA into RX and glitch there but not as bad just a hiccup every now and then....

BLOODY WIERD, glitch was like 85% better, but still present to annoy.

So does this mean the RX has a problem, or again, becasue the Spektrum and Futaba are different set ups, the power draws (amps not volts... see I'm learning) are different?

I guess based on our discussion, the external BEC i bought will tell. If there is still a glitch, with this attached, then there must be an underlying problem with the RX. I'd use the Futaba, but its stick control and i don't like them anymore, I'll wait for the new Servo, if the glitch returns then its got to be the radio.

Is it possible to bind my Controller with a Futaba RX?? It's a 29MHz R162JE, only 2CH though so no winch (unless i can plug it into the bind plug) Do radios allow interracial relationships or is it all banjo playing inbreeds?

Jayboy74

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WIDELOAD on Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:51 pm

Hmmm...its intriguing that's for sure. The futaba and spektrum gear isn't cross compatible, so that rules out trying to use the futaba RX.

I know that spektrum gear is more sensitive to input voltage. (You were close Laughing , Amps & Volts are tied together but arent the same)
So if you put a big amp load on the BEC circuit it will drop voltage causing the RX to wig out like what's been going on. A BEC should fix this as we've said, but you may be right with thinking that it might be a Rx or even a Tx issue.

This is what i would do when you get everything together.
Firstly fit up the BEC (set to 6.1-6.2v) and try the Savox servo. If that works...awesome, job done.
If not, you should be able to run the 5645 without the external bec, but if you run it with the external it will be even stronger.

If that still hasnt fixed it all its a case of swapping out the Rx and then Tx until everything functions properly.
WIDELOAD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayboy74 on Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:14 pm

EUREKA!!!!

Hitec arrived today 645 i went with. Put in in,NO MORE F..........g GLITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So i'm set for the weekend

But as i said i have ordered external BEC and will attach with Savoxx and will see how it works, now based on what you said having the external BEC on the Hitec is not a problem is that correct?

Thankls again and will see you on Sunday to allow you to strangle me with the information overload i have set on you,

thanks Troy you are a life saver.
Jayboy74

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WIDELOAD on Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:54 pm

Good to hear mate...5645's dont draw enough amps to wig everything out so you're all good on that front.

When you get the external BEC you can keep running the 5645, just keep the voltage level to no more that 6.2volts and it'll be sweet. I'm keen to see if the savox works after you get the BEC. That will be the clincher.

Seeya on Sunday mate!..Dont worry i wont strangle ya (yet)...Laughing Laughing
WIDELOAD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayboy74 on Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:55 am

ok, got the BEC today, i'm now just wanting to clarify the set up in my head before i go and solder everything.

Hook up the BEC to Castle Link, set it for 6 volts? is this the input voltage or output voltage?

Then solder the two wires according to colour directly to the deans plug for the battery, plug the 3 hole plug into the bond plug, and remove the red wire on the thottle plug and tape it off.

Is that all i need to do?

Cheers,

Jase
Jayboy74

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WIDELOAD on Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:32 am

Yup, set the bec to 6.1-6.2v ...Just to make sure that your servo is getting the full 6v to is (allows for voltage drop across the circuit)
Its output voltage...input is voltage coming into the bec from the battery.

All the rest is correct. Solder red and black input leads to deans plug. Plug output from bec (rx plug) into bind port. Pull red wire from ESC's RX plug and you should be golden.

Let us know how you go Jase.
WIDELOAD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayboy74 on Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:08 am

You the man Troy,

Hooked up BEC with 6.2V setting... powered up everything, worked with current Hitec Servo... Nice.... so the drum roll did it work with the Savoxx, with no glitch???

HELL YES!!!

So it's all good now, thanks for your help.

Look for my next question to bug you with.
Jayboy74

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  WIDELOAD on Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:59 am

Good to hear it all worked out mate. I thought that would be all that was going on with the Savox. Enjoy the wicked steering torque you now have! pirat

Oh yeah, already answered your other question.
WIDELOAD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top