The Scale Garage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brushless motor for scaler

2 posters

Go down

Brushless motor for scaler Empty Brushless motor for scaler

Post  unixndata Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:15 am

unixndata
unixndata

Legend Status : 0

Back to top Go down

Brushless motor for scaler Empty Re: Brushless motor for scaler

Post  WIDELOAD Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:26 am

Yeah it will work. BUT......

......you will need to get a pinion gear with a 5mm bore to suit the motor shaft. Most likely you will need to make an adapter plate up to fit it to the gear box as well (most out runners use a smaller mounting pattern)

Also being sensorless it wont have the best low end, it will stutter and cog.
To get around that you can volt up, gear down (run high voltage, with the smallest pinion & biggest spur you can fit) but its always a compromise.
WIDELOAD
WIDELOAD

Legend Status : 40

Back to top Go down

Post  unixndata Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:38 am

Its cheap thats why i ask, i run a 55t and a 19 pinion atm , what would you recommend if you where doing it.
unixndata
unixndata

Legend Status : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  WIDELOAD Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:09 am

Cheap stuff can work, don't get me wrong. I ran sensorless brushless set-ups (hobbywing esc's with various different outrunners) for a while and they worked fine. Its just the short falls they have shitted me off.

I know this is probably not what you were looking for exactly, but here's a bit of guide to sort of go by.

Brushed: 3s capable esc (Holmes Hobbies BRXL, Castle sidewinder, Mamba Max Pro or Tekin FX-R) paired with 35-55t rebuildable motor.

PROS: Best low end of all, usually pretty cheap to set up, and pretty forgiving with the gearing you can run (keep motor temp under 70°c and its usually fine), best drag brake - including part throttle, motors will run in water no worries (just wear faster), lowest efficiency of all options (shorter run times)
CONS: Motors need to be maintained, high end motors are expensive, motors do eventually totally wear out.

Sensored Brushless: 3s Esc (Mamba Max Pro, Tekin RS) paired with the sensored motor of your choice in the 13.5-21.5t range.

PROS: Close to brushed for low end resolution, next to no maintenance, fairly forgiving with gearing (Keep motor temp under 80°c), some wicked wheel speed can be had with the right motor and gearing, highest efficiency (long run times)
CONS: Most expensive to set up, no part throttle drag brake, cant be run through water (damages the sensors) largest packaging.

Sensorless brushless: 3s Esc (sidewinder, MMP, or even a hobbywing/Turnigy/Yeah racing) paired with a outrunner in the 900-2500kv range.

PROS: Can be cheap to set up, generally pretty reliable, only maintenance needed is keep em clean and lubed, motors are totally water proof, compact packaging for when space is tight.
CONS: No part throttle drag brake, low end resolution can suck (stutter/cog as low speed), not suitable for all rigs (will usually need an adapter plate & different pinion to fit)

WIDELOAD
WIDELOAD

Legend Status : 40

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down