The Scale Garage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build

5 posters

Go down

CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build Empty CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build

Post  derb Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:34 am

Original first post, the spec list below will be kept up to date.

Hello everyone, i've been trawling this forum for info for a while now and thought I should start up a thread for all the fun i'm going to have. This is my very first RC vehicle and I'm loving it! My friend has been into the drift scene for a while and has a tt01 and ta05 chassis and just started into short-crouse trucks with a Team Associated SC10 and it all finally rubbed off on me.

So I bought the kit on Saturday around lunch and had it rolling about 6 hours later. It was built stock, but I used ball bearings instead of the plastic ones, locked the front and rear diffs [spider gear flip method] and spaced the rear shock top mounts 5mm for a little more rear clearance.

Got the radio gear installed Sunday and started crawling over my mates back yard. We pretty quickly cut up the front bulkhead for more agility and it's a lot better, but I still have some plastic to trim. Mainly the front upper parts of the front wheel wells as it still won't get over a brick without approaching it at an angle.

Then I spent most of yesterday crawling my back yard and creating some play areas and breaking/fixing the CC01. I've made up a canyon with a bunch of loose river rocks and have found about 4 cool trails through the yard. I've got a bunch of messed up bricks too that I plan on using to make an 'ancient ruins' type area. I am 100% hooked on scale crawling now!

Chassis:
Tamiya CC-01
Front brick eliminated
Wheel arches trimmed

Shell:
Toyota Landcruiser 40
Mustard Yellow w/ White Roof
Black accents and some decals

Tyres/Wheels:
Junfac VR01 white beadlock wheels
RC4WD Out Cropper tyres
30g per rim wheel weights

Suspension:
Front 6mm 'body lift'
Yeah Racing steering kit
GPM front knuckles
GPM CVD shafts
Junfac 4-Link kit [flush mounted lower links]
Junfac rear skid plate
Stock shocks with Losi 20w oil
Stock springs
Rear drop links

Drivetrain:
RC4WD 55t crawler motor
16t metal pinion gear
Locked front and rear diffs
Ball bearings

Electronics:
Tamiya TEU-104BK ESC
Hitec HS-5646WP Waterproof servo
FlySky GT3B transmitter and receiver
Infinity Power 5000mAh 2s LiPo
LiPo Guard

Parts Ordered:
-RC4WD 2:1 Gear Reduction Unit
-RC4WD 45t motor
-Proline 1.9 Flat Iron tyres x4

Future Mods:
GRU and motor
Flat Irons on the steel rims with wheel weights
94mm GMade Zero red shocks [4x]
Junfac tailshaft
GMade VR01 bead lockers [4x black]
Trim, Paint, etc the Subaru Brumby
Roof rack, light bar, scale accessories for the Landcruiser

Last edited by derb on Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:06 am; edited 3 times in total
derb
derb

Legend Status : 3

Back to top Go down

CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build Empty Re: CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build

Post  Rustykaos Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:49 am

Looking good there. Just a quick question why do you have the pajero body mounts on the rear as well as the roof mount. I use the lower mounts myself with some extenders on it to reach the lexan which makes it look a lot cleaner. You definately need better tires and I always recommend cv's for the front as the dog bones will pop out under stress. I use a 60T venom motor (real cheap) which gives good speed and crawlability. I will bring it along to the aug meetup so you can see it.

Cheers Jarrod
Rustykaos
Rustykaos

Legend Status : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  derb Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:21 am

Yeh I just put them on as I noticed other CC01s with them installed, which are obviously Pajeros from your explanation. I'll take them off. Embarassed CVDs and 2x sets of much better tyres are in the post.
derb
derb

Back to top Go down

Post  lunatick Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:57 pm

derb wrote:Yeh I just put them on as I noticed other CC01s with them installed, which are obviously Pajeros from your explanation. I'll take them off. Embarassed CVDs and 2x sets of much better tyres are in the post.
Very neat mate cheers

PS You wait till you see Rustykaos and his CC01 , its amazing
lunatick
lunatick

Legend Status : 6

Back to top Go down

Post  derb Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:24 pm

I've done a few more mods lately and just had an absolutely killer day out at a local site that has comp paths marked. Spent 2 hours out there with MoonUnit having a ball.

I got my metal pinion gear yesterday and installed that this morning before the crawl. I also received both sets of tyres from RC4WD and have fitted the Tomahawks as they are slightly thinner in cross-section. The Out Croppers feel even better in hand, very squishy and pliable. I also trimmed the outer edges of the front fenders and the plastic lip below the side plates for more clearance.

And finally, I got my own radio gear, a FlySky GT3B which went into the truck this morning. This is my first time tuning in a controller but found it fairly easy despiste the poor english instruction. Endpoints and servo directions took a couple of minutes to maximise my steering without hitting the chassis with the tyres, and also to pull the throttle down a bit for easier crawling. I tried setting the reverse endpoint lower to minimise the jerk on entering reverse, but it just left the truck with not much stopping power when I did want to halt my descent. I'm saving up for a Holmes BR-XL ESC which will give me real drag brake.

Here is the current spec list and waiting for/wish lists:-

Chassis:
Tamiya CC-01
Front brick eliminated

Shell:
Toyota Landcruiser 40 [unpainted]

Tyres/Wheels:
Stock Tamiya rims
RC4WD Tomahawk tyres [unglued, unbeadlocked]
RC4WD Out Cropper tyres [spare]

Suspension:
Rear drop links
Stock springs

Drivetrain:
RC4WD 55t crawler motor
16t metal pinion gear
Ball bearings

Electronics:
Tamiya TEU-104BK ESC
Unknown Hitec servo in waterproof Traxxas case [borrowed]
Redback 2s LiPo [borrowed]
LiPo Guard [borrowed]

Parts Ordered:
-GMade VR01 beadlock wheels [white x4]
-Yeah Racing Steering kit
-JunFac 4-Link rear kit
-Junfac chassis skid plate
-Junfac rear skid plate
-Junfac side bars
-GPM front knuckles
-GPM CVD shafts
-Subaru Brat [Brumby] shell

Future Mods:
Space front shock top mounts [when CVDs arrive]
Holmes BR-XL waterproof ESC
Hitec HS-5646WP Waterproof servo
Another set of bead lockers
80/90mm Proline shocks
L parts for the Brat shell [roll hoop and front bumper]

CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build CRayR
CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build Hh7Pv
CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build ElUnY

Last pic is a comparison of the following tyres [left to right], RC4WD Tomahawk, RC4WD Out Cropper, Stock Tamiya.

And a few shots from the crawl MoonUnit and myself went on today.

CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build YgGtA
CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build ZZkGA
CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build Wab7d
CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build Jt2Cf
derb
derb

Back to top Go down

Post  derb Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:19 am

Went back out to the same place as yesterday to test the Out Cropper tyres and they were excellent. Definitely better at getting up the loose stuff than the Tomahawk tyres. And awesome performance on smooth rock, I got much further around the boulder area than yesterday. Here are some more pics.

CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build Gijzq
CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build 0ucGs
CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build E7mq0
CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build Fa6Ql
CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build QNDkD
CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build GZpIo
CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build FCNwf
CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build CBFsB
CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build ZO1QX
CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build YfEuX
derb
derb

Back to top Go down

Post  derb Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:54 am

And here is a pretty average vid from Saturday.

derb
derb

Back to top Go down

Post  Frenchy Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:36 am

I love your video :-)
Frenchy
Frenchy

Legend Status : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  azwa Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:43 pm

ya need to squirt some colour on that body boss , it'll be cactus soon...
azwa
azwa

Legend Status : 16

Back to top Go down

Post  derb Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:42 am

azwa wrote:ya need to squirt some colour on that body boss , it'll be cactus soon...
Yeh it will be getting painted this weekend. White roof and beige/off yellow body along with the lights.
derb
derb

Back to top Go down

Post  derb Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:13 am

Lots has been done since the last update. I got all my Junfac goodies, 4-link, skid plates, side bars and beadlock wheels. And I finally put some paint onto my shell. The Junfac VR01 wheels are pretty sexy, but definitely in need of some wheel weights.

The 4-link setup is very pretty and looks strong, but the longer mounting bolts do induce a little more hang up, but nothing the truck can't handle. I'm scheming to notch out the channels in that run along the base of the tub and sit the long links inside the channels which would make them flush with the whole under tray.

As many others discovered, the Junfac chassis skid plate is huge and hangs you up constantly, so that's in the misc parts bin now. I do like the rear axle skid plate too, and along with the 4-link there is definitely a noticeable weight increase on the truck and much of it is below the centre of gravity. And finally the side bars/rock rails are not bad enough in terms of clearance to make me want to ditch them. I flipped them and notched the battery tray so they are in line with the body and definitely not lower than anything on the tub.

I also got a set of metal beadlock wheels and some pretty new Prowler XS tyres. The rims are in need of some TLC and I will be cleaning them up and spraying them white to match the GMade wheels. I've got a can of etch primer and a can of touchup paint for my 1:1 car which will be perfect for keeping those metal rims pretty. And finally, the Brat/Brumby shell came in and I'm in love. I am going to get it sprayed by someone who knows what they are doing instead of my average attempts. I'm thinking a nice 80s orange? As per usual, pics and specs updated.

CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build 5y2g1
CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build UCynv
CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build 0XDAy
CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build C9ozk
CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build LKBCT
CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build 4tbp8

Fresh spec list and waiting for/wish lists:-

Chassis:
Tamiya CC-01
Front brick eliminated
Wheel arches trimmed

Shell:
Toyota Landcruiser 40
Mustard Yellow w/ White Roof
Black accents and some decals

Tyres/Wheels:
Junfac VR01 white beadlock wheels, RC4WD Out Cropper tyres [main set]
RC4WD 8-spoke metal beadlock wheels, RC4WD Tomahawk tyres [larger diameter and weight set]
Stock Tamiya rims, RC4WD Prowler XS tyres [unglued, spare]

Suspension:
Junfac 4-Link kit
Junfac Rear skid plate
Junfac side bars
Rear drop links
Stock springs

Drivetrain:
RC4WD 55t crawler motor
16t metal pinion gear
Ball bearings

Electronics:
Tamiya TEU-104BK ESC
Unknown Hitec servo in waterproof Traxxas case [borrowed]
Headlights and brake lights
Redback 2s LiPo [borrowed]
LiPo Guard [borrowed]

Parts Ordered:
-Yeah Racing Steering kit
-GPM front knuckles
-GPM CVD shafts
-Brat/Brumby L parts [roll hoop, bumper]
-Hitec HS-5646WP Waterproof servo

Future Mods:
Space front shock top mounts [when CVDs arrive]
Holmes BR-XL waterproof ESC
Repaint the metal beadlock wheels white
94mm GMade Zero shocks [4x]
Trim, Paint, etc the Subaru Brumby shell

EDIT: A couple of pics of the metal wheels.
CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build DdQLZ
CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build FpoW3
CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build YX4yY
derb
derb

Back to top Go down

Post  derb Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:32 pm

Another day, another mod, it seems. Got the Yeah Racing steering assembly and GPM knuckles and CVDs in the post today. The steering kit is really good actually, even though I'm using the stock shaft the play is virtually gone and response is solid. The knuckles and CVDs are pretty self explanatory, but I guess 'golden black' is GPM code for 'golden gold'. I think it matches almost perfectly, so I might get some more in that colour. I'll keep the mod list updated in first post from now on.

CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build XFZlW
CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build BkkII
derb
derb

Back to top Go down

Post  derb Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:35 pm

Went on a social crawl this arvo and then repainted the steel wheels I got.

CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build YVWur

CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build BidGV
CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build VV9CN
CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build JXVx3
CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build CdkCi
derb
derb

Back to top Go down

Post  derb Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:19 pm

Yet another day, yet another mod, or mods. I know everyone has their own take on relocating the 4-link mounts, but this is what I did. The Junfac 4-link kit is nice quality gear, but the body mount bolts for the long arms in the 4-link stick out so far its not funny. I've been getting more hangups with the Junfac links than before installing them, so I haven't been very happy lately. Which leads me on to the Junfac side bars, which I have removed as they were another hangup issue. They look great but are much more intended for the pure scale guys I guess. And finally, I spaced the front suspension bracket off the body with 6mm powder coated spacers that came with the various Junfac kits.

CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build NPfyU
CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build GKXFF
CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build Pa79v
CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build TnHVw
CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build S9aOy
CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build 8Yjw6
derb
derb

Back to top Go down

Post  derb Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:10 pm

A few pics from my back yard and north lakes today. Really happy with the steering finally and no issues all day. Very Happy

CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build MdlhU
CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build PJF9r
CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build 44HKR
CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build Y5d5c
derb
derb

Back to top Go down

Post  derb Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:59 am

Plenty of progress still going on. I got bored one night and stickered up the rear window pretty well. Gives a little more scale character.

I received my new waterproof servo and was about to install it when MoonUnit noticed my steering was really sticky at either end of the throw. It turned out to be dust/dirt in the hole in the tub where the steering post goes, and it had caused some scouring on the shaft and inner surface of the hole.

I gave the shaft a very light sand and reinstalled it with grease and its nice and smooth again. Obviously I will now have to keep changing the grease as it will attract dirt much more quickly, but I'm still not in the mood to convert to front mounted steering. I went for a crawl today and couldn't be happier with the rig's performance on the whole.

On the way home I got some wheel weights finally. Starting with 30g per wheel with the plastic GMade bead lockers. I want to keep the truck light as possible at the moment. Compared to something like MoonUnit's rig, mine is a feather weight and his is like a medicine ball!

Also, after driving MoonUnit's truck, I was totally convinced to get the RC4WD 2:1 gear reduction unit, however with a 45t motor. His 55t has insane torque now, but sometimes not enough wheel speed to clear the really soft stuff.

But I will copy his choice in tyre. I found a set of lightly used Proline Flat Irons that will go on to the steel rims with more wheel weights.

And finally, I've had the Brat shell cut by someone who knows what they're doing, and have chosen Tamiya PS-07 orange as the main colour. I will black out the tray bed and bumpers, but the rest will be 80s orange.

CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build MXeXe
CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build HRVTB
CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build 8MnAO
derb
derb

Back to top Go down

Post  derb Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:26 pm

Went to a local comp today and had an awesome time. Out of the seven competitors in scale - class 1, four were running CC01 chassis. We ran three courses and I placed dead last in the first course, third in the second course and managed to pick up first in the last course, leaving me outright 4th and very content. Very Happy

Here are the vids of the last 2 courses I ran. The gate on the last course that I barely broke was a bonus gate that no-one else had attempted due to surface and angle, which explains the reaction.

Second course:

Third Course:
derb
derb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down