The Scale Garage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dumb ass need help

4 posters

Go down

Dumb ass need help Empty Dumb ass need help

Post  BIGBOY Mon May 21, 2012 6:28 am

Hi guys new to the forum and crawling .after going out for a drive with lunatic and azwa I've found my truck needs some more grunt . I've got a scx10 rtr I'd like to step up to a lipo set up what do I need Im gunna get a Holmes hobbies 35t I think but need advice on what 2s 3s means does going 3s mean 11 volts and 2s is 8.4. Part no would be great also would like to upgrade steering servo.I keep reading about bec's but have no idea what this means thanks guys.
BIGBOY
BIGBOY

Legend Status : 3

Back to top Go down

Dumb ass need help Empty Re: Dumb ass need help

Post  WIDELOAD Mon May 21, 2012 12:26 pm

With lipo 2s 3s etc stand for the number of cells within the pack. Each lipo cell is 3.7v, so a 2s pack would be 7.4v, 3s would be 11.1v.

As for steering servo you want to shoot for the most torque you can afford. I prefer Hitec branded servos, but Savox seem to be pretty damn good, and i've been running bluebird brand servos lately with a fair bit of success.

As for a BEC is stands for Battery Elimination Circuit. It is a bit of gear that eliminates the need for a separate battery to run your servos. Most ESCs these days have them built in, but they are not up to the task of running the high torque, high amp draw servo's needed for a crawler/scaler. So you run an external one that is capable of handling the amp draw. Personal favorite is the Castle Creations 10amp one, but a cheaper option is a 5amp cheapy off ebay or hobbyking.

What ESC are you intending on running?
WIDELOAD
WIDELOAD

Legend Status : 40

Back to top Go down

Post  BIGBOY Mon May 21, 2012 1:29 pm

What ever you tell me mate . Azwa and lunatic said you were good at dumbing it Down so I'm in your hands .im not even sure on the motor brushed or brushless I would like to just do it right and stop wasting money on wrong stuff (getting bored hanging out at the letterbox). I would also like to be able to run my fancy new 2.2s with no probs . If you could give me some ideas on complete set ups that would be great .i will drop the carton round later .
BIGBOY
BIGBOY

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayboy74 Tue May 22, 2012 12:25 am

Dumb ass need help Buddy+Jesus

Wideload... He's the man!!!!!

You are in good hands!!
Jayboy74
Jayboy74

Legend Status : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  BIGBOY Tue May 22, 2012 12:49 am

Wide load i was having a look on e bay and found some info about my esc it says if I use a bec it will run a 3 s lipo . It's the standard ae2 let me know what you reckon.thought I could may be do this while waiting to get the good stuff
BIGBOY
BIGBOY

Back to top Go down

Post  WIDELOAD Tue May 22, 2012 1:00 am

If you want to buy some decent gear once and for all go for a Holmes Hobbies BRXL esc paired up with any decent brushed motor in the 35t range and you're golden.

If you're a bit lazy and don't want to worry about the maintenance that a brushed motor needs. You'll want to go brushless. For the esc i would go Castle Mamaba Max Pro or a Tekin RS and for motor any sensored motor from 21.5t-17.5t.

Servo is the same as what i said, go for the most torque that you can afford. Something like the Savox 1256tg would be perfect. Make sure you get yourself at least a cheap 6v/5a BEC to run the servo.

load all that up on 3s lipo and you have a nice crawl with some wicked snap for when you need a bit of speed.
WIDELOAD
WIDELOAD

Back to top Go down

Post  BIGBOY Tue May 22, 2012 1:14 am

Thanks mate appriectied
BIGBOY
BIGBOY

Back to top Go down

Post  BIGBOY Tue May 22, 2012 6:38 am

Holy #### batman I just priced up all the stuff might have to get it slowly.
Servo $80
Exc. $99
Motor $66
Charger $50
Lipo. $40
I'm starting to think I should have bought a kit not rtr.
BIGBOY
BIGBOY

Back to top Go down

Post  WIDELOAD Tue May 22, 2012 6:47 am

Yup.... It aint cheap. But it's a buy it right, buy it once kind of deal.

As for RTR vs. Kit, that comes down to personal preference. Kits work out cheaper in the long run, but RTR will get your running sooner.

Check out hobbyking.com for cheap lipos & chargers. Go straight to holmes Hobbies for the motor & esc (if you're going the BRXL & one of his motors) and don't forget evilbay can be a source of some gear at very cheap prices.
WIDELOAD
WIDELOAD

Back to top Go down

Post  BIGBOY Tue May 22, 2012 11:28 am

Ok this is the plan get a castle creations 10amp bec , about a 5000 mah 3s lipo and the b6 charger . Will try and run that with the ae2 esc and standard servo then update esc/motor to hh 35t then do servo . But I'm pretty sure something else will break/meltdown between then maybe I give racq a call and se if they will do fire and theft cover on it lol. Do you think this will work or am I just starting a fire without matches using the ae2. Thanks mate for all the help I know you've probly got better things to do .
BIGBOY
BIGBOY

Back to top Go down

Post  WIDELOAD Wed May 23, 2012 12:45 pm

You're dicing with death on the AE2, but a heap of blokes in the states are running them on 3s using an external BEC without a problem. The servo might last a while until it flogs out the bushing that supports the main gear (which the stock axial servos are notorious for)

Just make sure you pick up a castle link usb adapater so you can program the BEC and AE2 using your computer.
WIDELOAD
WIDELOAD

Back to top Go down

Post  chack100 Fri May 25, 2012 3:34 am

i don't know if it helps or not but i was looking at getting a tekin esc / motor combo from tower hobbies at it is the cheapest place i can find them and only about 20 dollars more then i can find the holmes hobbies for. I don't know if they are any better or not others will have to tell you this have never used either, but thought i would let you know.

by the way i am new to the forum and crawling so hello everyone.

I would also like to know what would be better for the money the tekin or the holmes hobbies myself.

chack100

Legend Status : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum