The Scale Garage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mud tyres for winch build?

+2
WIDELOAD
Ads
6 posters

Go down

Mud tyres for winch build? Empty Mud tyres for winch build?

Post  Ads Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:37 am

I will have 2 sets of axial wheels one running flat irons for more rocky scaler comps & runs, one spare set of flat irons no rims,and a set of rims I wanna run with mud tyres for winch comps & muddier runs.
These are the 3 I like:

these look like my 1:1 maxxis mudzillas and they perform well in The slop.
http://www.rpphobby.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=RC4Prowler19&CartID=3

Super swampers?
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/pro116314.htm

These remind me of the simex tyres.
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/rc4tbuster19.htm

if anyone has any experience with any of these tyres or thoughts/opinions let us no. It's all mug appreciated.

Cheers ads
Ads
Ads

Legend Status : 24

Back to top Go down

Mud tyres for winch build? Empty Re: Mud tyres for winch build?

Post  WIDELOAD Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:26 am

Hey Ads,

The first tyres you posted (prowlers) are really top short for anything other than a CC01 (they're only 3.7" tall)

For the swampers, they might work but i can see then loading up and turning to slicks.

As for the 3rd ones that look like a centipede i know stika was using them on this scaler for a while, so he might be the one to ask.

You have to remember in small scale most of the tyres load up really easy and dont self clean/chuck as well as what a 1:1 tyre does..
Only thing i can recommend is look for a tyre that has a really open tread pattern with big lugs (like a bogger, or even sand paddles)
WIDELOAD
WIDELOAD

Legend Status : 40

Back to top Go down

Post  Ads Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:40 am

Ok cool cheers for the info, i think i will give the trail busters(centerpedes) a run. Then we will no exactly how they go haha. Thanks again mate.

cheers ads
Ads
Ads

Back to top Go down

Post  Rustykaos Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:45 am

A lot of people are raving about the swampers and flat irons. I am using mud thrashers rip offs at the moment and find them to be really good but are a little big on the CC01.
Rustykaos
Rustykaos

Legend Status : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  Ads Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:10 am

yea they are a cool looking tyre too, the only reason the trail busters are winning atm are centerpede look and the height is pretty good on them, this will be on a honcho so heights not so much an issue

cheers ads
Ads
Ads

Back to top Go down

Post  Ads Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:01 pm

well i ended up deciding on the swampers. so we will see how we go. tanks for the input.

cheers ads
Ads
Ads

Back to top Go down

Post  Rustykaos Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:22 pm

Would be good to know how they fare as they are the ones I might get next.
Rustykaos
Rustykaos

Legend Status : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  WIDELOAD Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:38 pm

Good to hear you've gone with the swampers Ads. I've heard good things (they stick like #### to a blanket on rock)
Only downside is the foams are way too soft if you run a heavy weight rig.

Let us know how you go tho! pirat
WIDELOAD
WIDELOAD

Back to top Go down

Post  Ads Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:48 am

yea should be good, i couldnt find to many ppl in oz runnin them but a few in the states and they mentioned the foams. it will be interesting to see how the soft foams work in the muddier conditions. will have to see if the factory flat iron foams are firmer, i will have a spare set to try in the swampers and put the softer ones in flat irons to see how they both go.

cheers ads
Ads
Ads

Back to top Go down

Post  SkR8Pn Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:17 am

I'll be keen to see how the Swampers rate too. The tires i'm currently running took a lot of tunning to get to where they are and probably dont stand in the same class as Flat Irons..
SkR8Pn
SkR8Pn

Legend Status : 3

Back to top Go down

Post  Ads Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:50 am

yea cant wait to get them, im personally hope they go good in the mud cause i will 2 sets of flat irons for the rockier stuff.
will let everyone no what my thoughts are as soon as i no.

cheers ads
Ads
Ads

Back to top Go down

Post  Ads Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:23 pm

swampers turned up yesterday, look the goods i am pretty happy with my choice so far. (for mud)

For my own interests i got comparing the flatirons and swampers out of the box. The rubber compound feels softer on the swampers, this combined with the tread pattern makes them overall quite soft. This got me thinking of the foams and what ppl have said about them.

I pulled the foams out of both the flat irons and the swampers to compare aswell. The swamper foams are both slightly shorter and wider than the flatiron foams and for me feel way softer. i could see how this would be an issue for more rock crawling based terrain sidehilling and tyre roll etc. I dont think this will be an issue for me though because they will be run in mostly muddy loose dirt terrain. Softer bagged out tread is what i am after.

Keep you posted when i get a chance to run them on both rock and slop, give more of my opinions and feed back from there. hope my rambling helps some one in some way.

cheers ads
Ads
Ads

Back to top Go down

Post  WIDELOAD Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:27 pm

Ads wrote:swampers turned up yesterday, look the goods i am pretty happy with my choice so far. (for mud)

For my own interests i got comparing the flatirons and swampers out of the box. The rubber compound feels softer on the swampers, this combined with the tread pattern makes them overall quite soft. This got me thinking of the foams and what ppl have said about them.

I pulled the foams out of both the flat irons and the swampers to compare aswell. The swamper foams are both slightly shorter and wider than the flatiron foams and for me feel way softer. i could see how this would be an issue for more rock crawling based terrain sidehilling and tyre roll etc. I dont think this will be an issue for me though because they will be run in mostly muddy loose dirt terrain. Softer bagged out tread is what i am after.

Keep you posted when i get a chance to run them on both rock and slop, give more of my opinions and feed back from there. hope my rambling helps some one in some way.

cheers ads

Good to hear you got them Ads,
Yeah the rubber compound on the swampers is their rock crawling compound (g8), the flat irons that come with the SCX10's is M2 compound. So the swampers are 2 compunds softer than flat irons.
The foams should be the same, let them sit out of the tyres for a day or so, so they regain full size and they should be the same size & compound.
WIDELOAD
WIDELOAD

Back to top Go down

Post  Aperture Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:46 pm

do we get to see any build shots ???
Aperture
Aperture

Legend Status : 7

Back to top Go down

Post  Ads Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:48 pm

yea mate, id love to put them up but i dont have any lol. i am now waiting for the next kit to come(hopefully late next week after a mis understanding with rpp) with all my upgraded parts, i gave my kit i had sittin here to my cousin to build cause he had some time off during the week. everyone will be posted as soon as i finally get something going.

cheers ads
Ads
Ads

Back to top Go down

Post  scottb Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:47 am

Yeh don't forget its a efort uploading to a provider then downloading to the forum,cause the uploader on the forum is not working.
scottb
scottb

Legend Status : 18

Back to top Go down

Post  Ads Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:44 am

yea cheers for the heads up scott.

i think i have got on top of how to do it through photo bucket, so we will see how we go haha

cheers ads
Ads
Ads

Back to top Go down

Post  Aperture Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:35 pm

hi ads

i also use

https://servimg.com/index.php

for uploading images onto scale garage. as the forum is free there are a few areas that we dont get the full effects of including the easy way to do a few things. but hopefully that will not deter guys still using the facility.

started the final paint today. should have some images of it tomorrow to show.
Aperture
Aperture

Legend Status : 7

Back to top Go down

Post  scottb Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:31 pm

Ahh..so thats why,i'm getting used to photobucket now,thanks for the explanation Scott cheers
scottb
scottb

Back to top Go down

Post  Ads Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:25 am

hey scotty,

is it stikaflex you said u used to seal up your wheels? where do u apply the bead of it to get the best seal when u do up the beadlocks? another quick one mate, will one of those red rubber bands from the mail work to put around the tire to deflate it slightly while im doing this?

cheers ads
Ads
Ads

Back to top Go down

Post  scottb Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:20 pm

Hey Ads.....i just used marine or bathroom silican. I only used it on the excisting holes in the rims.(not around the bead locks).
Rubber band pressure is your choice,i think the red thick ones will be to much. I would go for a bit lighter band.
scottb
scottb

Back to top Go down

Post  Ads Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:30 pm

Cooll thanks for that Scotty, just sorting out my wheel weights, then I can start to put both these sets of wheels together

cheers ads
Ads
Ads

Back to top Go down

Post  Ads Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:46 am

update on the swamper saga. put the swampers through there paces(finally) on sundy out at mt cotton quarry. i must say i was very impressed with them. they hooked up nicely in the loose stuff and climbed wet river type rock like it was dry it was crazy. also self cleaned really well for there size. i rate them highly and doubt the flatirons will get a run again til the swampers wear out and i wait for replacements.

cheers ads
Ads
Ads

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down