The Scale Garage
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1.9 Tyres - Need Tread

4 posters

Go down

1.9 Tyres - Need Tread Empty 1.9 Tyres - Need Tread

Post  Jayboy74 Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:36 am

I'm looking for a set of really chunky treaded 1.9's, just watching how the original tyres grip on the Honcho, seem a) too soft and tend to bend before gripping and b) not deep enough to allow grip.

I know some may give me curry about its how you drive, but what do you guys reccomend as an excellent large treaded tyre for my purposes (GRIP)

I like the RC4WD Mudslingers with their big tread beads, but is there something else, with say soft compound in the walling for flex but the tread pattern is harder to allow for bite, make sense?
Jayboy74
Jayboy74

Legend Status : 0

Back to top Go down

1.9 Tyres - Need Tread Empty Re: 1.9 Tyres - Need Tread

Post  WIDELOAD Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:07 am

Answers in blue mate...

Jayboy74 wrote:I'm looking for a set of really chunky treaded 1.9's, just watching how the original tyres grip on the Honcho, seem a) too soft and tend to bend before gripping Thats normal, is just the tyre bagging out and b) not deep enough to allow grip. Flat irons (stock honcho tyres) actually have one of the deepest treads of the scale tyres

Flat irons are actually a awesome all round tyre. But they need to be broken in, Keep using them and they will get better.

I know some may give me curry about its how you drive, but what do you guys reccomend as an excellent large treaded tyre for my purposes (GRIP)

It does come down to the way you drive as well, BUT....
if you really want to change tyres look at Pro-line super swamper SX's...The tread depth is actually LESS than a flat iron, but they are a way softer compound as well.
Keep in mind if you go softer on the compound you will need to change to a stiffer inner foam. The softer compounds generally dont give you enough support and you rig will fall over constantly.

I like the RC4WD Mudslingers with their big tread beads, but is there something else, with say soft compound in the walling for flex but the tread pattern is harder to allow for bite, make sense?

Forget mudslingers/boggers...they are sh!t for everything except mud, and even then they arent the best.
Rule of thumb, any tyre from RC4wd looks awesome. But they generally dont perform.
Also the bigger the tread blocks the worse things generally get, cause they load up with dirt & mud becoming slicks. Also the tread blocks will fold into each other causing the slick effect again

WIDELOAD
WIDELOAD

Legend Status : 40

Back to top Go down

Post  micks troll Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:35 pm

Wideloads on the money there.
As in the real world 1:1 sometimes to get what you want you sipe your own tyres (customise the tread) by taking lugs sections out you open the next leading edge up. e.g. Swamper Boggers cutting out all the small lugs inbetween leaving only the larger lugs to dig!
Just another option to look at Cool I have already taken out half a lug on every second lug on my 1.9 iroks to open them up a bit and it works!!!

I'm only new to the scale side of this but have been 1:1 wheelin for 15 years and seen many different ideas and tried many my self, and tyres aren't just tyres! You'll find what suits you and you'll be stoked just be patient and try thing Wink
micks troll
micks troll

Back to top Go down

Post  Ads Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:53 pm

yea troy's all over it as usual Very Happy stick with the flat irons they are a great all round tyre, if your set on changin i use and highly reccomend the proline super swamper, super soft tyre, work on every type of terrain real well, i havent put harder foam in yet wich i need to do, but they have sort of held up with 150g wheel weights in each wheel.
SWAMPERS RULE!! lol! the flat irons also come out in the same G8 super soft compound as the swampers, just another option
Ads
Ads

Legend Status : 24

Back to top Go down

Post  Jayboy74 Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:06 am

thanks guys, yeah i went for a drive yesterday up some pretty gnarly toowoomba terrain (the only good that came out from the floods are the washouts on the range!!!, Oh Yeah, took me about 30 minutes to get up 30 meteres of terrain, and still had 100plus to go!!)

and it was my training so to speak on how the tyres bent and performed etc in different siutations, to allow me to effectively drive different areas, part of it was watching in slow motion (i.e. very light trigger pull for slow acceleration) on rocks on steep ascents, and one thing i noticed was that in these situations where speed would cause you to flip backwards, you relied upon the tyre to bite on a rock and hold that bite to pull you up, using the trucks torque, one thing i was dissapointed in was that the tyres would bite, and hold but the moment you put torque on it they would flex and then flip back like rubber does, thus the reason i wanted to see if there were tyres that had harder lugs to hold the bite,

if the honchos are the best then so be it, i'm at ease, scott gave me some Gmade shockies to replace the stock honchos', i love the way they sit the vehicle, and they really operate well under hard driving. Even christened the winch yesterday becuase i couldn't get up a dirt hill, good times, better with more than one car though.
Jayboy74
Jayboy74

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down